Of Portraits, Porcelain, and Places
Glimpses of Maria Rogers' Life Beyond her Letters
Bedford Historical Society
St. Matthew's Episcopal Church, the place of worship of Maria Rogers-Ambler's family and Benjamin Isaacs and where Benjamin Isaacs served as treasurer. Built in 1809, the sketch below illustates the way the church looked in 1860.

Susan's letters to Maria reveal that both women found religion inspirational and a comfort, particularly during times of bereavement. As a young woman, Maria faced death within her family numerous times. The loss of her father Joseph Rogers, uncle William Isaacs, grandmother, Sarah Bush, and cousin, Elizabeth Knapp, are but a few of the references.
The four tombstones in front of the monument mark the graves of Maria Rogers-Ambler and her husband, Joseph, son, Benjamin Isaacs, and daughter-in-law, Ann Lounsbery-Ambler.
The Ambler family seemingly purchased the plot after the death in 1850 of Maria's daughter, Sarah Olmstead, as Sarah's grave is to the right of the parsonage while the Ambler plot lies to the left of the church.