Of Portraits, Porcelain, and Places
Glimpses of Maria Rogers' Life Beyond her Letters
Bedford Historical Society
A Strickland Road view in about 1890 of the Greenwich, Connecticut grist mill once owned by David Bush, second husband of Maria's grandmother, Sarah Isaacs Bush. Justus Luke Bush assumed grist mill ownership on his father's death in 1797.

The sign indicates that the grist mill ground plaster, hay, straw, flour, feed, and grain for wholesale and retail.

Below, the interior of the grist mill in approximately 1890. The label on the bag behind the two wheel hand cart identifies the contents as plaster.
The Bush home, presently known as the Bush-Holley historic site, stood across the street from the grist mill on Strickland Road.
Although Susan lived near the Greenwich grist mill, her letters never mention the business. Yet the writings include information on the entrepreneurial endeavors of other male family members, such as the shipping company of Justus Luke Bush, Susan's step-uncle, and William Knapp, her father. While a successful enterprise, the venture may have led to the early death of William Rogers, Maria's brother.

Outside of her relatives, Susan frequently commented about other male acquaintances to Maria with an eye always open to marital possibilities. Whether either woman considered business success an important quality for a husband is not revealed.